The aim of our French Curriculum at Shotley Bridge Primary School is that the children are exposed to a different culture and language through stimulating and engaging lessons. We follow the Language Angels Scheme, which ensures the 3 pillars of language learning, phonics, vocabulary and grammar are taught explicitly.
Our curriculum is designed in such a way that we hope to inspire our children to:-
- Love learning the French language.
- Express their thoughts and ideas in another language.
- Communicate through speaking, listening, reading and writing in French.
- Understand basic grammar and punctuation.
- Read and decode words using phonics and their cognate knowledge.
- Remember and retain key words and phrases.
- Pronounce words accurately using the professional native speaker audio files.
- To improve their linguistic confidence.
- Learn through interactive games, songs and fun presentations.
- To compare the cultural diversity of the U.K and France.
Here at Shotley Bridge Primary School, we acknowledge that teaching MFL is a positive tool to foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of France and the wider world where French is spoken. In addition we strive to make the curriculum challenging and inclusive, promoting positive attitudes towards cultural diversity.