Our school aims to inspire all children to develop a love of physical activity and sport. Through good physical education, whole school values and a whole child approach, we aim to nurture confident, resilient children who will strive for their personal best.
We listen to our children’s’ wants and needs and provide them with a range of active experiences and clubs. We endeavour to aid our children in obtaining the values and skills to celebrate and respect the success of others, as well as modestly celebrating their own successes. We aim to ensure that our delivery of physical education allows all children to have the skills and mindset to leave primary school with the capabilities to be successful in their sporting challenges and active lifestyles at secondary school and beyond. We strive to educate both our children and families to develop a greater understanding on how to live healthy lifestyles and make healthy choices.
We are dedicated to ensuring healthy minds, as well as bodies and will continue to support our children’s well-being. We have strong links with local clubs and partnerships within our community to ensure the children and families receive the support and knowledge they need. We ensure that opportunities are provided for our pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness and prepares them for the future.
Throughout our curriculum design, we strive for our pupils to: ·
- Acquire and develop new skills in isolation and through activities and games;
- Select and apply appropriate skills, tactics and compositional ideas through games and activities;
- Evaluate their own and others’ performance in order to improve;
- Gain knowledge and understanding of how PE and sport contributes to staying physically, mentally and emotionally healthy
- Experience a range of roles that are important in sport i.e. performer, leader, coach etc.
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
- Play and perform activities and games to apply skills and strategy
We recognise that opportunities for pupils to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect. We are proud of the PE curriculum that we offer and believe it develops competence in our pupils to excel in a broad range of physical activities. It is vitally important to us that children at Shotley Bridge Primary School are active for sustained periods of time. Lessons allow children to engage in competitive sports and activities.